Friday, September 25, 2009

Sundried Tomatoes

One of my fantastic Craigslist finds last fall was a food dehydrator for $15. We dehydrate everything. (Lance gets a little carried away) We have an influx of cherry tomatoes. More than I can possibly imagine ever eating or giving away. There are only so many options when it comes to garden fresh produce. You can either a) eat it b) give it away c) can it d) freeze it e) dehydrate it. Tomatoes do not freeze well. There's too much moisture and it's just a bad idea. I don't can. I don't know how, I don't have the supplies, and I don't have the space. Maybe someday ... my MIL cans, so it is not impossible to think that someday I might learn. So that leaves me with a few remaining options: eat, give away, or dehydrate. We're going with the last option and making our excess tomato supply into sundried tomatoes. We'll rehydrate them and throw them into chili, soups, chicken catcatorie (I know it's spelled wrong) and other things for bonus flavor.

They're kind of pretty in the dried, wrinkled up way.



But they are money and food savers, which is a combo that Lance likes best! I've thought about packing them in oil, but I'm really at a loss for how best to do this. So in the meantime, they'll stay locked in a cool dark cupboard for optimal storage.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Those look great! What a great craigslist find on the dehydrator!