Stats: 32 pounds, 38 inches tall, 51% percentile for height and weight.
Wearing: Some 3T shirts, some 4T jammies and a lot of his 2T pants and shorts. This kiddo has thinned out some and his baby belly is diminishing.
Milestones: The announcement of a baby brother or sister coming in December! Being 95% potty trained. We still put him in a pull-up at night, but he consistently stays dry during the day and through naps. We are careful to limit how much he gets to drink in the evening. If we watch fluid intake, he’ll wake up dry in the morning. We survived our longest road trip to date: driving to Michigan last summer. He’s on his third daycare since turning two. That must be some sort of new record. But the daycare center has turned out to be our best decision to date. No regrets. Lucan tells all of his teachers, by name, “bye bye” at the end of the day. Attending his first big screen movie, Frozen.
Eating: Lu loves candy. I can’t say that I’m surprised. He loves grapes and blueberries, chocolate milk, vanilla ice cream with chocolate on it (like Papa!), scrambled eggs, waffles, pancakes, bacon, peanut butter, frosting, peas, edamame, granola bars, lunchmeat, popsicles, string cheese, blueberry yogurt, mashed potatoes and gravy, chicken noodle soup, veggie beef soup, hot dogs, chicken McDonalds (chicken mcnuggets – GROSS), French fries, popcorn, sweet corn, queso dip, STEAK. Man, can that kiddo pound steak like no one’s business.
Consistent dislikes: green peppers, onions, tomato soup, salsa, indian food.
Occasional dislikes: green beans, beets, focaccia bread, toast, pizza, non-string cheese.
Sleeping: One nap. At school naptime is at 12:30PM. At home it’s 1:30PM. Most days he’ll sleep a solid two hours, sometimes on the weekends if we’ve had a busy morning he’ll sleep 2.5-3 hours. At night Lu goes down around 8:30PM and will sleep through the night unless he’s sick. Then all bets are off. Usual wake-up time is around 7:15AM, but sometimes Lucan will surprise us by sleeping in until 8AM or horrify us by creeping into our room at 6:30AM on a Saturday.
Saying: Everything. This kiddo is a talker. Non-stop chatter. And if you don’t respond quick enough, he’ll just repeat himself louder and louder until you do acknowledge him. And because I’m biased, I think his speech is pretty good and that he speaks pretty clearly. Lucan remembers people’s names and will bring them up in conversation. He’ll talk about his daycare teachers, his friends at church, our grown-up friends, our friends at small group, his grandparents, his cousins, his aunts and uncles, people that Lance and I are talking about in a conversation, basically everyone is Lu’s friend. It’s a cute age.
Some of the funnier things I’ve overheard from Lucan: “Grammer (grandma), I love you all the time.” “Mommy, no more snacks!” “I naughty. I hit and push. I do better TOMORROW.” “I’m a genius.” “I’m adorable.” “I don’t smell! You smell Mommy! (trying to convince him it’s bath time)
Loves: his favorite green blankie, construction equipment, farm equipment, trains, Daniel Tiger, Curious George, play dough, hiding under blankets, riding bikes, bounce houses.
- Lu also loves to be “a big helper.” Usually this comes in the form of helping me with supper or helping Lance outside with yard stuff. Lucan will tell both of us solemnly “I’m a big helper.” He likes to use about two gallons of water to wash potatoes. But it keeps him happy and distracted, so I’m not complaining about the water bill.
- Lu goes through favorite book phases: Pigeon books, Thomas the Train books, Goodnight Goodnight Construction site, Daisy books. He loves being sung to; some of his favorite songs are: Jesus Loves Me, Twinkle Twinkle, Hickory Dickory Dock, Jesus Loves the Little Children, The Wise Man Built his House Upon a Rock.
- Lu loves church and the singing. I think Lucan thinks it’s fun to see our friends there.
- Technology. I know some parents don’t let their children watch television or play with computers or iPhones or iPads. We are not those parents. Lucan loves anything with a screen. He especially loves playing the game “Minion Rush” on the iPad. He’s awful, but not as bad as I am. He calls the minions “marshmallows.”
Dislikes: getting ready for bed or naptime. Sleeping in his bed (he wants to sleep on the floor).
- Clocks (he especially dislikes my parents’ grandfather’s clock).
- THUNDER. Lucan’s terrified of storms. There was a major storm that came through last fall during the day while Lucan was at daycare. I kind of get the idea that our daycare provider had a mini meltdown and caused all of the kiddos to panic a bit. As a result Lucan will watch the skies very closely for any impending inclement weather and ask us if it’s going to rain. We’ve reassured him several times that Mom and Dad will keep him safe, but he still gets really worried.
- Then there’s the gimmies: listening to Mom and Dad, being told “no” or having to end something that’s really fun.
When I grow up ... I want to be a firetruck. This morning it was a dinosaur.
Playing pretend at school, going to the grocery store: I buy raisins. (everyone else chose stuff like milk, cookies, apples. True to Lucan, he bought raisins. Lance was proud.)