Thursday, October 15, 2009

Apple Oat Muffins



I made these for Sunday school last week. I'm responsible, Patty didn't even have to remind me that I was up. We had most everything on hand, with the exception of applesauce. We only had homemade and there was no way I was sharing that. Lance's aunt Ann had a bumper crop of apples, so we chopped those up and used those instead of my $1.49/lb honeycrisps. Lance was my sous chef and we got these done relatively easy.

1 and 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 and a 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 and 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
1/2 c. applesauce
3/4 c. quick oats
1 c. finely chopped apples
1/2 c. nuts (didn't tell Ryan Boone these were in there otherwise he wouldn't have eaten them!)

Topping
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 T flour
1/3 c. oats
2 T cold butter, cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tins with liners.

In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

In a large bowl, beat egg, stir in milk, oil and applesauce. Add oats and mix well.

Add flour mixture, apples, and nuts, stir just to combine. Don't over stir, lumps are good.

Spoon evenly into the prepared muffin pan.

Combine all topping ingredients and spoon into each muffin liner.

Bake 20 min. Cool on a wire rack after just cooling in the pan. Enjoy!

No comments: