Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Random things to add to your food.

I try and be healthy because being healthy is good. Not because I'm particularly concerned about organics. True fact. If someone was able to convince me that there were health benefits to Chocolate Caramel Commotion Blue Bunny ice cream, I'd be liable to believe them :) But there are a few things I like to do that are easy ways to sneak in a few extra vitamins. Like ...
  • Flax seed or Chia seeds- add it to your cereal, add it to a Monster Smoothie. I don't even notice their presence. I've also been adding in Chia seeds to our stir frys, sauces, and soups. Haha, tricked Lance again!
  • Extra vegetables - I have shredded frozen zucchini leftover from this summer's garden bounty. I snuck some into our spaghetti the other night. Along with some carrots. Lance didn't notice. I also only used a half pound of hamburger.
  • Steel-cut oats - I'm not sure that there is proven evidence showing that these are healthier than slow-oats or old-fashioned oatmeal, but there is definitely a texture difference. Steel-cut oats are much nuttier and definitely chewier. I made these on Saturday. Lance thought they were underdone, but I think it's probably just a texture thing.
  • Extra beans - we had beef enchiladas last night for supper. Instead of making them with straight ground beef I added black beans and chilies. Extra fiber!
  • And above all, I take a multi-vitamin. My momma pounded it into my head that I needed them. Somehow it doesn't seem to be hurting me!

1 comment:

Jon and Katie Evans said...

I love the extra fiber tip- those are the ones i really need!