Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Is it fall y'all?

According to Lance and some of my co-workers, I'm not allowed to start whining about how I'm sick of summer and ready for fall. However, it's 88 degrees right now with waaay too much humidity. I'm tired of heat.






The only good thing about this time year is the fresh produce oozing out of our garden. In one of my movie favorites, "You've Got Mail", Meg Ryan waxes poetic about the start of autumn in comparison to receiving a bouquet of sharpened pencils.




Here in central Iowa, the only thing you can wax poetic about in conjunction with the start of the school year is the Iowa State Fair. You don't get a bouquet of pencils at the ISF, maybe a sugar coma instead ...


But this is the time of year when I am entirely sick of summer. The start of the school year has never coincided with fall. I remember being younger and having new, adorable long-sleeved shirts that I had gotten school clothes shopping and not being able to wear them. I want tangy apple cider with a dash of cinnamon, cozy sweatshirts and football games, and most importantly to eat SOUP without being lectured about seasonal appropriateness! One of my favorite things about fall is shopping at the fall farmer's market here in Des Moines. Squash, golden mums, steaming mugs of coffee, all while wrapped up in fleece jacket. Oh fall - where are you?




What are you looking forward to this fall?

1 comment:

Nicole @ one half world said...

Let's go to the farmer's market together this fall...coffee, fleece jackets, etc. sounds great. And I am a total summer whiner too; if it gets over 80 I start complaining.