Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Black Bean Salsa

One of my firm beliefs is that dried cilantro tastes nothing like fresh cilantro. Dried cilantro is gross. Fresh is fantastic. I can accept dried basil and thyme in most things. I cannot accept dried cilantro. There is a drastic taste difference in the two and this recipe would taste less like summer freshness with dried cilantro.



This salsa is the epitome of summer yumminess. Juicy ripe tomatoes, bright lemon zip, the firm crunch of green peppers and the tang of fresh cilantro. The only thing that doesn't sing "summer" is the canned black beans. I have no idea how to get fresh black beans out of my garden - actually there's no way to get a lemon out of my Iowa garden either :)


Without further ado, black bean salsa!


1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 lb tomatoes, diced

1 large green bell pepper, diced

1/2 c. onion, diced

1 lemon, juiced

1/4 t garlic salt

cilantro, to taste


Mix all of the ingredients together and then let sit for about an hour to fully meld flavors. Enjoy with tortilla chips!

No comments: