Saturday, February 13, 2010

Things that I always have on hand.

This post is prompted by a discussion we had the other day at a potluck lunch at work. My friend, Libby, is pregnant (baby brain) and had forgotten to purchase kidney beans for her chili. She called Erika before work and Erika stopped by Hy-Vee to get the beans for Libby's soup. At lunch I told Libby she should have called me because it's one of those things that I always keep on hand in my pantry. And that got me thinking about things that I always have on hand ... please keep in mind if Iowa was bombed by terrorists, there would be ample food supply at the Knaack household. :)

But here's my list of standard staple items:
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Garlic
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Tomato soup
  • Chicken broth
  • Kidney beans (dark red, light red, and white)
  • Chili beans
  • Yeast
  • Flour
  • Sugar
  • Coffee
  • Brown sugar
  • Powdered sugar
  • Chocolate chips
  • Bread flour
  • Whole wheat flour
  • Cornbread
  • Rice (brown and white)
  • Onions
  • Potatoes
  • Oatmeal
  • Pasta (multi varieties)

Keep in mind, this is only pantry and some refridgerator items. We also have things like milk and butter. But who doesn't? What items at your house are "standard" list?

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Kara,

I am fascinated about by all those kidney beans. Three kinds?!

We always have black beans on hand, as well as great northern, which I've been cooking in bulk and freezing.

I stock jarred pasta sauces (both alfredo and marinara), as well as canned fruit to supplment with fresh in the winter.