Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Survival Mode



This is me. Trying to stay afloat. Trying to balance. Trying, trying, trying. I'm somewhere in the middle between sinking and floating. So basically, survival.
Lance and I had an interesting conversation last night. He's attempting to get into grad school for the fall and we started talking about how long he thought it would take him to get through. His answer: 3.5 years. My answer: WHAT!?!? His plan was to take 3 credits a semester. I told him that was lazy and last semester I took 9 credits and got 4.0. Lance's response: yes, and look what it's turned you into. Blar. I do well under pressure. Anyway, 6 credits is standard. Lance has always gotten by on being smart. Not by trying hard. Me, on the other hand, needs to try hard. Not so much blessed with easy intelligence like my other half ...

Anyway. Survival mode. This means less interesting food. But this salad, oh, it's a keeper. It's so stinking delicious. I should make it every Saturday for lunch. Hmmm... there's a thought. This recipe is from my friend Katie who keeps a record of their two girls, Hallie and Harper. Let me just say this, those girls are beauty-ous! They have good genetics, they can't help it :)
Oh yes, going back to the point of this post. This is Katie's aunt's recipe and it's yummie.

Oriental Salad Dressing
1/3 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
2/3 c. oil
1 T soy sauce
1/4 c. sweet and sour sauce
1/2 c. mayo
1/4 t. garlic powder
2 t. sesame seeds
1/2 poppy seeds

Cook vinegar & sugar in saucepan until sugar dissolves. Take off heat and wisk in oil, soy sauce, sweet & sour sauce, and mayo. Add seeds and garlic.
Serve on salad with rotisserie chicken, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, green onion, cabbage and carrots. Top with sliced almonds and chow mein noodles. This can also be made into a wrap.

It's very similar to Applebee's Oriental Chicken salad. I love it.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Looks yummy! Kudos to Lance for going to grad school. I want to someday, but for now my brain cells are totally depleted...hang in there! :o)