Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lucan: 9 months old

If there is a word to categorize Lucan's growth and development this month, it would be inquisitiveness. As Lucan has become more aware of his world, he has become more curious about his surroundings. In this instance, curiosity killed the cat. But not literally. Poor Fire, he doesn't get much peace with Lucan around. Lu is chattering and laughing and is constant pursuit of Fire. Lu lu just wants to give Fi Fie a little love. In the form of pulling handfuls of hair.

Fire isn't the only thing that Lucan is curious about. Lucan has also taken to spending much time in front of the entertainment center cabinets. Open the door, close the door, open the door, close the door, open the door, slam the door shut. He's also discovered that he possesses the ability to take DVDs out too! Lance is going to need to figure out the childproof door pulls ASAP. I suppose that's not as bad as this morning when I found Lucan pulling out ant bait from the microwave cabinet.

In addition, Lucan also has discovered my camera lens. Oh goody.




  • Lu Lu, skip to my Lu. He makes my heart melt with his sweet smiles, his patience and his exuberance for life.

  • At his 9 month appointment, he weighed 20.5 pounds. I think he would have weighed more, but his mid-month bout with an ear infection hindered progress. This puts you in the 50th percentile for weight.

  • He is a long boy. I need to double check, but he was in the 70th percentile for height/length. Hopefully this means he won't be short like his momma :)

  • Lucan continues to have a ginormous head. Just like his daddy. Lu's head size is in the 90th percentile. Shocking.

  • The nurse called Lucan lazy. It ticked me off. Yes, Lucan doesn't feed himself, hold his own bottle, crawl, or wave goodbye. He just doesn't want to. Leave him alone.

  • We survived Lucan's first ear infection. All in all, Lucan took it in stride. Much better than I did. I've never seen so much green snot for one little baby. Lucan loved amoxicillin. It must taste good to him, which I find bizarre.

  • Lucan has done a couple of art projects at daycare, namely finger painting. Tracy says it goes well, however Lucan does want to try and eat the paint on occasion... The art now proudly adorns our fridge. My mom never put my art or tests up, so I'm making that change early on!

  • His bottom two teeth are fully in, but the top two have broke through and are working their way down. Lucan does really well with teething, just a lot more drooly than normal.

  • Lucan's favorite food are pears. I'm still making all of his baby food. I will readily admit, it's somewhat of a hassle. But it's really good for L, so I'm in it for the long haul. He's eating a variety of foods: sweet potatoes, squash, peas, spinach, applesauce, avocado, bananas, peaches, mangoes, oatmeal and rice cereal. We've also given him bites of pork roast, steak, chicken, and Lance's idea, not mine - bacon. I also tried to feed L a tiny bit of chicken tetrazini, but he wasn't impressed. We've also given Lucan plain cheerios and some apple/strawberry cereal puffs. He's not a fan of the texture.

  • We are still nursing, but Lucan is more interested in his solid foods. I've frozen enough breast milk for kingdom come. I'm not kidding either. Lance thinks I should try and sell some off.

  • We need to start babyproofing. L is getting into electrical cords and is pretty mobile, despite not crawling. He loves the remote and my cell phone. Oh and how he gets upset when I take them away from him. He knows he's not supposed to have them, but that doesn't stop him.

  • L is still taking about 3 naps a day, anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and 45 minutes. L is just a great sleeper overall. He will sleep an average of 10 to 12 hours each night.

  • Speaking of sleeping, Lucan is never in the same place as where I lay him down. I think that he must get really excited at some point and then he flops himself about like a fish. The pediatrician said that I could start putting a loose blanket on him at night. But I think this excites him even more because I can hear him banging his legs against his mattress when I first lay him down. Basically, a blanket gets Lucan really wound up. It's the small things in life folks!

  • Mobility issues. No, he's not really crawling. He rolls and pivots very well. But forward motion, not so much. In the past couple of days L has made strides in getting closer to crawling. His idea of crawling is pretty similar to a thirsty man crawling through the desert for a drop of water.

  • He got to meet his Great Grandma Ganfield for the first time this past month. They got along pretty well, but L was a little cranky and wasn't really in the mood for smiles or cuddles.





This is Lance and Lucan's latest game. It involves Lance laying his head down on Lucan's high chair and Lucan trying to pop Lance's head off.




I guess it's pretty fun. It must be, it elicits lots of laughter.




Lucan is pretty proud of being able to balance on his tush and raise both legs into the air.




"Mom, I'm cute. You just can't help but love me."

No comments: