Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tofu is fun-fu




Tofu is fun-fu. Haha, I made a funny.
This is a meal that I had about a month ago. I was pretty darn impressed with myself. I marinated and baked the tofu and then served it with brown rice and steamed sugar snap peas and broccoli. It wasn't really a Lance meal, but he survived because ... the tofu was really yummy! Granted, I still have not achieved a lovely crispy texture, but the tofu was really tasty. I recommend giving tofu a second chance. You might be surprised.

Make sure you press your tofu really well. I mean excessively well. I drained and wrapped my tofu in multiple dish towels prior to going to work in the morning and then took it out of the fridge when I got home and marinated it then. Pressing your tofu helps decrease the nasty sogginess that so many people dislike.

The marinade was pretty simple - just a lot of tasting and dumping, but not a lot of measuring ... soy sauce, honey, garlic powder, minced ginger, sesame oil - voila!

Cube your tofu, lay it out on a foil lined, sprayed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.

Then I used the extra marinade and drizzled a little bit of it over the brown rice and the veggies. It was very yummy and very healthy. Have you tried tofu yet? Give it a spin - it will help your waistline and your budget.

No comments: