Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thai Cashew Chicken


This is the recipe I'm supposed to demonstrate at work. I think it might be a mistake. I'm not sure if I have enough filler words ... I need to practice. But lots and lots of people have really enjoyed eating this at my house or making it on their own. It can be a lot of chopping, but if you do your vegetables ahead of time, it comes together really fast. This is one of our favorite things to eat! (PS - sorry for the crappy picture. It's not my finest)
Ingredients
1 bunch of green onions
1 lb chicken breast, cubed
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
3 T oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 c carrots, sliced
1 c celery, sliced
1/2 c edamame
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 T minced fresh ginger
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1 1/2 c chicken broth
2 T soy sauce
2 t cornstarch
1 t sugar
1/2 c roasted cashews
Cooked brown rice for serving
Directions
Chop onions, separating white and green parts. Toss cubed chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a wok over medium heat. Add oil and stir fry chicken until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add bell pepper, celery, carrots, edamame, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and white onions to wok and stir fry about 5-6 minutes.
Stir together broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, then stir the mixture into the vegetables in the wok. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, around 2 minutes. Stir in cashews, green onions, and chicken + juices. Serve with rice.
I also usually add whatever vegetables I have on hand. This can mean anything from broccoli to sugar snap peas. Add what you like! It's what I do!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Kara, I've made this several times and we really enjoy it! I hadn't made it in a few months, so we had it again tonight. So simple, yet tasty! Thanks for the recipe!!