Friday, February 26, 2010

Hamburger Pasties


This recipe was adapted from the blog "Cooking During Stolen Moments"
A couple of different things to note. I did not make the gravy portion. I lost my steam and lost interest. Lance did think they would have been better with something to dip them in. I preferred to enjoy the simple flavors. I also thought that the Italian seasoning wasn't quite right ... perhaps rosemary would be a good substitution. Also, the original recipe calls to brush on egg yolk. I did that the first time and the pasties looked horrible. Like a burnt on some mustard or something. There must have been a mistake - a good pastry person knows that egg white is what you brush on. At any rate - use egg white! Lastly, the filling makes a huge batch. Huge. I used two boxes of pie crust and froze the second batch pre-baking and pre-egg white.

Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 c. cubed hashbrowns
2 c. diced veggies
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste
Homemade pie crust or store-bought (enough for 3 -4 crusts)
1 egg white, beaten
1/4 T. butter or margarine
1/4 c. flour
2 c. beef stock, broth or bullion cubes
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. Italian seasoning

1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and fresh veggies, if using. Stir in seasonings. Cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. (If using frozen veggies, stir into skillet shortly before removing from heat.) Cool.
2. Cut each piece of store-bought dough into fourths and roll into a triangle. (the recipe direction say to roll into a circle - how do you do that?) Place about 1/3 c. beef filling into the center of each dough circle. Fold over, seal and roll edges.
3. Brush each pasty with beaten egg white and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until golden and pie crust is fully cooked.
4. While pasties cook, melt butter or margarine in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in beef stock, bring to a slow boil and boil until thickened. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning.
5. Serve pasties with gravy on the side for dipping or poured on top.


*Carrie - is this similar to your recipe? I wasn't aware they were popular in Northern MI either, until I went back to the original blog where I got the recipe!*

2 comments:

Rose said...

Those look great!

You are such a good cook and wife. :o) I feel like everything I make, I need to make it twice because the first time I mess it up.

*carrie* said...

Hey, Kara. I was curious to see this. It's fairly different, actually. The recipe I've made uses ground beef, diced carrot/potato/onion and a dab of butter on top with no other seasonings. Also, my recipe is baked in a pie dish like a potpie. Eric loves it with gravy but I confess to (horror!) using the mix that comes in packets--I don't eat gravy and this is just way easier!