Monday, August 17, 2015

Gracelyn: Seven Months


Seven months old means we’ve officially passed the scary six month SIDs mark. Yes, that doesn’t mean I’m letting you sleep on your stomach with a blanket over your face but there’s overall less paranoia.

Sleeping.  All wise parents will tell you that it’s going to better for everyone if you phase out sleep props sooner rather than later. Yes, I know. I KNOW. It’s my second child and I should know better, but Gracelyn is still sleeping in the rock and play. She sleeps better and longer and I’m just not willing to deal with 4 am if I don’t have to. For example, I made the adult decision to put her to bed in her crib last night. She woke up at 5:45 AM. Lance ran into her room and put her in her rock and play and she went back to sleep. We have her nap in her crib but we’re still putting her down at the night in the rock and play. I know. Please stop shaking your head at me. 

I’ve been nursing her before bedtime and then putting her down awake around 7:30 PM. Around this age we phased out Lu’s dream feed but I don’t think little miss is ready. I’m ready to be done with going to bed after 11:15 pm every night, but these are the sacrifices we make! Getting Gracie to finally accept and eat solids has been the key to her sleeping at night.

Eating. We are still sending three, three ounce bottles to daycare. Solid food is going much better this past month. Here are the things in your present diet: pears, applesauce, avocado, bananas, oatmeal, blueberries, yogurt, peas, roasted carrots, and squash. I tried, unsuccessfully, to get you to eat fried rice. You’re Asian! You should love rice! Lance predicted that it wouldn’t go well. We are just doing an evening meal but I’m sure enough we’ll introduce lunch too. Add on another 30 minutes to mealtimes. 

Wearing. 3-6 month clothes. My darling peanut, you have the most adorable chunky baby legs that appear to just be growing sideways and not longer. 

Milestones. Language: you are getting more generous with your smiles and your laughs. Big brother is still the funniest person in the household. You also appear to have found your voice. Sometimes when you nurse you make the oddest grunting noises. You have to lift your voice to be heard over that brother of yours. I don't blame you, I have to lift my voice too!
Social: Selfishly, I think I'm still your favorite. I'm not discouraging it. Object permanence seems to becoming a thing. I used to be able to hand you off with no repercussions but you will occasionally get sad when you don't recognize a mommy or daddy face. You get a lot kisses from everyone. We love your squishy face.

Physical: after much time spent hanging out on your side, you finally rolled over. Both ways! One day it just happened. You had been laying on the floor and then I heard you squawking and lo and behold, you were on your belly! Since then we have to pay attention to make sure you don't roll off of things - case in point, you rolled off the couch under daddy's watch. You love to throw your legs against the changing pad - just like Lu.

Your thumb is your source of comfort. I get mixed reactions from people about it but I'm not going to sweat it. If it makes you happy, great. You don't have much hair yet. At this point Lu had already had two haircuts, so I'm not sure why God does this to little girls and boys. 






1 comment:

Andrea Cooley said...

She is the cutest! Makes me want a baby girl ;)