Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanksgiving menu: A day of food

Because Thanksgiving is about food. And not about being thankful. Because I have nothing to be thankful for this year. Absolutely NOT true. Although I will take some time to make a list of my thankful things because it is always a worthwhile endeavor.

For the first time EVER, I am hosting Thanksgiving for my side of the family. While some would feel anxious, I just feel giddy. Kara loves cooking and being a hostess-with-the-mostess! I've made two previous turkeys without issue, so hopefully the third time continues to be the charm. We are always out of town for the holidays, so being able to sleep in my own bed seems luxurious. A couple years back we got snowed in for Christmas. It was sad to not be able to see our families but at the same time I remember feeling some relief at doing nothing and going no where. I think that was the last year I made homemade gifts and 300 cookies for Christmas. Apparently overkill is not part of my vocabulary :)

And because overkill is not part of my vocabulary, here is my Thanksgiving menu for 5.5 people:

13 pounds of roasted, brined turkey
Mashed potatoes (because it's not Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes)
Gravy (and not out of a can or a mix. Neither of those two things count as gravy. I remember making the gravy as a new bride at my mother-in-law's and almost ruining it because it was as thick as paste. Then Lance's aunt came to my rescue and thinned it out with some potato water. Which is a helpful hint for those of you who make flour gravy)
Spoon cornbread/cornbread casserole
Bread stuffing (true story: I prefer Stovetop to homemade stuffing. Don't tell.)
Rice & mushroom stuffing
Cranberry orange sauce
Strawberry pretzel salad
Green bean casserole
Pumpkin pie
Peach pie

No relish tray. Really who wants a carrot or a piece of celery on Thanksgiving?! But I may do a cheese dip and crackers as a munchie. I'm also playing with the idea of having a signature drink. The problem being is that a) alcohol is expensive b) it has a tendency to sit in our cupboard for years upon years c) no one in my family is much into alcohol. d) I prefer to eat my calories instead of drinking of them. e) after 9 months of being pregnant and another year of breastfeeding, I have no alcohol tolerance. I would probably be passed out under the table after one drink. I know last year at my work Christmas party my head felt fuzzy after a quarter of a glass of wine. All things point to NOT having a signature drink. But all of my fun Thanksgiving magazine feature so many cool options. Oh well, verdict is out. I'm sure Martha wouldn't approve. Then again, Martha made turkeys out of chocolate last year. That's not going to happen here. But in case you are feeling energetic, here's a link to the video. If you happen to make one, please drop it off at my house prior to 1:00 pm on Thursday :)

No comments: