Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lucan 13 and 14 months old

I feel bad about not doing a post for Lucan at 13 months. Oh well. Too bad, so sad.
Here are things from the best of my recollection.
  • At my last report, I stated that if you told Lucan "NO" he burst into tears. That's certainly changed. Not only, does he not cry, he doesn't stop and he will turn and smile at you. Touching the flat-screen TV, yes, please. Trying to push over the glass lamp, why yes, I'll do that too. Shredding momma's magazines, sure why not? Ah, the joys. Even swatting his hands seem to have no effect. I bought Dobson's Strong Willed Child at a garage sale. Maybe I need to start reading it now.
  • Lucan is not walking yet. There's a part of me that feels bad, but a bit annoyed with that continual question of if he's walking. Lu didn't crawl until about 10 months, so I'm guessing he won't walk until like 15 months. There, I'm putting my stake in the ground.
  • That being said, he pulls up on everything and is constantly climbing. Steps are a delight. We discovered that Lucan could climb stairs just after his birthday. We were at our friend's parents lake house where they have carpeted stairs and Lance thought it would be "fun" to see how far Lucan could get. As a result, Lucan feels entitled to try and climb all staircases and gets upset when you pull him off of them.
  • Speaking of good tricks Lance taught Lucan, we are also going to have a potential problem with Lucan trying to climb over the back of the couch to peer over who is coming up the stairs. That's another one Lance taught Lucan.  
  • After Lu gets up from his nap, his eyes travel upwards to the shelf where TC (Twin Cities) Bear sits. Lu insists on being able to visit TC on a regular basis. 
  • I still feel so blessed that Lucan is a good sleeper. He goes to bed around 8 pm every night, sleeps through the night consistently and takes two naps during the day, averaging about 3 hours total between the two. Yes, we are blessed indeed.
  •  Lucan is in size four diapers. Much needed size four diapers. Lu's only pooping about once a day and they are GINORMOUS. And disgusting. Maybe enchiladas or chicken lo mein doesn't agree with his digestive system ...
  • We finally moved him into a bigger car seat. After much hemming and hawing, we shelled out the big dollars and got a Britax Marathon 70 G3. Gads. I suppose car seats are one of those things you really shouldn't skimp on.
  • We are still having difficulties with sippy cups. Lucan's favorite trick is what I refer to as "swish and rinse." He'll take a sip of water and then spit it out. Usually all over himself or me. Yay.
  • Food. Lucan likes either really crunchy things or purees. I have this innate fear that I will be pureeing Lucan's food until he's 8 years-old. Sometimes he'll surprise me and feed himself, but it's infrequent.
  • Everyone dressed like a cow for Chik-Fil-A's "dress like a cow" day. It was there that I discovered that Lucan likes chicken nuggets and french fries. A lot. He ate a quarter of my meal and I was not happy. But it appears that anything that is breaded, Lu is a fan. Chicken nuggets, chicken fingers, fish sticks.
  • Lucan likes to carry things around in his mouth, particularly his little puppy named Bandit. Poor Bandit, he's disgusting. The puppy's ears spend so much time in Lucan's mouth, they are completely crusty. It's gross.
  • Lu's favorite book is his Baby Barnyard Animals book that makes animal noises. It's a somewhat obnoxious book, but Lu loves it. 
  • We still have some issues with separation anxiety. I'm sure it's only going to get worse now that I'm home with Lu full-time. If I try to go to the bathroom or grab something downstairs, Lucan starts crying hysterically. Even if I still keep talking to him as I walk away. I guess my days of peeing in peace are officially over.
  • Speaking of things that are over, we have tabled Lu's baby bathtub. It's pretty entertaining to watch Lu swim around in the bathtub. It's definitely more dangerous, especially since Lucan insists on periodically standing and walking ...
  • UGH. Lucan has determined that his high chair was intended for him to stand up in. It's so freaking dangerous and I can't leave him by himself for a second.
  • I weaned Lucan about mid-June. Because I was a crazy lady who pumped almost 3 extra times a day, we have lots of frozen breastmilk for Lu. 
  • His favorite toy is his Cozy Coupe car. Lucan loves to climb in and out and open and shut the door. We do this on a regular basis. We also zoom around the house, in and out of bedrooms and around the kitchen. Lucan loves his car.
  • He equally loves his firetruck ride-on-toy. Lu's favorite feature are the noise buttons - they make firetruck noises and have little songs. 
  • Ha! Lucan's favorite song is the "Wheels on the Bus" and the theme song to the "Big Bang Theory." Lucan loves the theme song and always bounces along to it. For him, it's 25 seconds of delight.
  • I know this isn't a new thing, but everything that Lucan encounters goes into his mouth. Water bottle nozzles, starburst candy, bottles, etc. Why do babies do this?
  • Ugh, Lucan has also started pulling hair. My friend's daughter, Cora, got the brunt on this one day where Lucan pulled out an entire fistful of her blond strands. Poor Cora, she took it pretty well, but she was still afraid the next day of a repeat performance. 
  •  Haha. I attempted for the first time ever, to cut Lucan's hair. Diaster. It didn't help that Lucan was all squirmy and Lance was yelling at me and I was sweating profusely from the pressure. As a result, Lucan didn't end up with the best hair cut. I berated Lance later and told him that he couldn't yell at me. A week or so later I worked up the courage to try again and this time was much more successful. I've learned that haircuts are not to be done too close to bedtime.
  • Lucan does like swimming but does not like the sprinklers. I think that it must be too cold and too startling. He just started crying when one stray sprinkler hit him.
  • Fire still does not want to be friends with Lucan. Something about loud shrieks and fur pulling is off-putting to Fire.
  • Ohhh... we had our first pavement rash too. Lu was riding a ride-on-toy at daycare and fell off. My poor baby. He was rubbing his head in some pillows and rubbed his scabs right off. They came off too early because the area, almost 3 weeks later, is still red looking.

One of my favorite things now that I'm getting my incizors in is to suck on this waterbottle nozzle. That and riding in my car.
     
     Nigel Lithgoe is cool. No momma, I'm not tourching the TV ... now.
    I'm plotting to take over the world. In my cozy coupe :)
    See my scabbies? I hurt my face by falling. It was sad.

I'm so mad. Why can't I push over the fan? Mean mommy.















I'm 13 months old and I know it (sung to I'm Sexy and I Know it)
Meet my favorite puppy Bandit. He's my bestie and so tasty!

I'm sunshine and smiles :)

No comments: