Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Ramen Noodle Coleslaw



I originally posted this here, but thought as we roll into summertime and the 4th of July, it was worth sharing again. 

I’m always left slightly befuddled when I’m asked to bring something to a picnic. I hate to always be bringing dessert and I’m picky about what sides I make. I like my sides to have some health benefit to them, whether that comes in the form of fruit or vegetable. I am not a mayonnaise-y kind of salad gal. Generally speaking, I find those type of macaroni salads to be sloppy and gloppy (rhyming intentional) and lacking in bold flavors. Macaroni salads are just kind of gross. Typically I avoid potato salad too. I find that potato salad and deviled eggs to be based on personal preference. I only like potato salad and deviled eggs the way my mom makes them. I’ve had too many bad encounters where I’ve found diced celery lurking in the murky mayonnaise depths. So I just stay away from them. Now that I’ve basically removed most mayonnaise based salads from my repertoire, that leaves only a few salads I like to eat at your average summer picnic. This Ramen Noodle Cole Slaw is not your “typical” coleslaw. Big surprise, it has ZERO mayonnaise in it. But it’s delicious and I’ve always gotten rave reviews when I bring it with me. It’s easy to make and easier to consume.

Note: the last time I made this they were out of cabbage coleslaw mix at the grocery store. After a quick google search, I determined that coleslaw mix consists of shredded cabbage and carrots. If you find yourself in a pinch, use one head of cabbage and roughly chop it up. Then add one shredded carrot – it’s easier and cheaper!

Ramen Noodle Coleslaw
1 pkg cabbage slaw mix
4 green onions, chopped
1 pkg. Ramen noodles (chicken), crumbled
1 1/2 c. chopped up broccoli
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. shelled sunflower seeds

DRESSING:
2 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. white vinegar
1/2 c. canola oil
Flavor packet from the ramen noodles

Mix all salad ingredients except the noodles and refrigerate a few hours. Mix dressing ingredients separately from the salad ingredients. Top with noodles and dressing before serving.



2 comments:

*carrie* said...

You may have seen that I posted a similar recipe, but much more minimal--sans broccoli and nuts--on my blog last week. We've been having this salad at least once a week, and are not getting tired of it. Love the crunch and fresh flavor. I am with you--I hate mayo-based salads, or anything mayo for that matter!

Rose said...

This is one of my favs, too! I love it!!

I've never thought to put in broccoli...will have to try that next time!