Monday, April 5, 2010

Steel Cut Oatmeal


I love this way of making oatmeal.

Bring four cups of water (plus salt) to a boil. Add one cup of steel cut oats and stir. Bring oatmeal to a slow simmer over low heat. Stir frequently to ensure that the oatmeal doesn't scorch. Simmer for around 20 minutes. Divide prepared oatmeal into four 1 cup servings.
I usually make one pot of oatmeal on Sundays and take the divided portions during the week for breakfast. I also add some brown sugar to each serving as well as 1/4 cup (more or less to your liking) of skim milk, dried cranberries, dried apricots and sliced almonds. My oatmeal is so good and an easy thing to grab as I'm running out the door. I never seem to get up early enough to eat breakfast at the house, so my breakfasts need to be something that can be grab and go. Usually I'll heat this combo up in the microwave once I can catch my breath (most Monday mornings you can see me running through the parking lot at work in heels with my purse and coat trailing behind me).
The oatmeal keeps me full until lunch and I love the crunchiness of the almonds combined with the sweet dried fruit. The steel cut oatmeal has a little different texture, it's more nutty, less creamy. I like it.
My other breakfasts include items like Larabars, granola and yogurt, banana and peanut butter toast, Green Monster Smoothies. All things that are on the go!

No comments: