Monday, January 25, 2010

2010 Reading List

I'm a voracious reader. There's no way around it. I've been that way since the third grade where I was dropped off at a summer daycare where a clique of girls decided to ostracize me and reading was my only opportunity to pass the time. In 2008 I made a goal of reading 100 books. I came really close. I think by the end of the year I was at 87. That's pretty freakin amazing because it means I averaged around two books a week. Well, in 2009 my reading dropped off pretty dramatically with the onset of school and required reading. Amazingly enough, my consumption of non-fiction is much slower than my consumption of fiction. At least the stuff I'm assigned to read for school :)
When Lance and I moved to Des Moines I started going to used book sales. Previously, I had the tendency to only purchase books that I had read previously and loved because who needs to waste money on something I'll never read again was always my philosophy. Too bad I can't apply that philosophy to textbooks ... But book sales. I started picking up things I had heard good things about, but never read. Well, it's been a dangerous practice because for the first time in my life I have a stack of books that I've purchased but have no idea if I like them or not. It is my goal for 2010 to finish that stack. And here is the list:

1. The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen Carter
2. Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky
3. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
4. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcom Gladwell
5. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
6. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
7. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
8. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
9. A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley
10. The Secret Between Us by Barbara Delinsky

As you can see, no rhyme or reason to my list. Just thinks that I've picked up the last couple of years that I thought would enrich my life. And then of course whatever books my book club reads and other random books that strike my fancy. Will I get the list done? What are you reading?

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

I've read Bel Canto and Cold Mountain and thought both were very well-written.

There are way too many books I want to read. And I'm a couple months behind on Real Simple and some parenting magazines that get passed on to me . . .