Monday, July 15, 2013

Why I Hate Pedicures




I get pedicures maybe once a year. It’s not that I don’t like having my feet rubbed, exfoliated and nails painted; it’s the vast over-generalizations that the Asian community makes about me based on my appearance. 
Inevitably, I always have to answer some-what inappropriate questions about where I’m from, how old I was when I was adopted and why I can’t speak any Korean. Don’t get me wrong, I think that I’m pretty open to discussing my background, but I think those questions imply that you have some sort of relationship with me first. And by relationship, I don’t mean that you’ve known me for 20 minutes before you start a line of questions. I understand that the nail techs don’t mean any harm and are just trying to make conversation, but these conversations are all too predictable and I’ve gotten to a point where I’m finding it harder to be gracious. I mean, a homosexual man would probably be offended if you asked them to style your closet just after you’ve been introduced. PEOPLE! VAST OVER-GENERALIZATIONS ARE OFFENSIVE!  I have never been able to go to a nail salon with having the technician ask me about my heritage. Inevitably I leave with fantastic looking toes and yet another nail salon I plan on never visiting again. 
Okay. I'm done ranting. Don't my toes look pretty? In fact Lucan likes to point to my toes and go "pwitty momma"  (pretty momma). That's special :)

3 comments:

Deanna Greene said...

Totally agree! Getting one soon for my wedding and they always ask. So does my eye doctor. Every year.

Natural Plain Jane said...

Be rude. It's the only way to get people to leave you alone. You might feel bad after, but people will know where they stand with you.

Anonymous said...

wonderful toes, would like to suck them :3