Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lu: 17 months

Laugh now, all you moms who inwardly chuckled when I said that I was going to hold on to my 2 nap day schedule. Because of course we are now at an one-nap per day schedule. Let me tell you, it's rough. Okay, back story. About 10 days before daylight savings time started (ended?), Lucan started sleeping from 8:00 pm- 9:00 am!! I didn't feel like I could legitimately put Lu down for a morning nap when he had slept in until 9 am. But then daylight savings came and screwed it all up. Lucan is back to his old antics of getting up before 7:00 am. Several mornings I have woken up to the sounds of Lucan knocking everything off his side table and pulling over his side table too.

6:00 am: Thump, thump, thump.
Me to Lance: what the *&#@!# ? (because if you know me, I'm not one to mess with when I'm sleeping) followed by sounds of baby gibberish.
Lance: it's just Lu rearranging. Go back to sleep.
Me to Lance: I'm going to throttle Lucan and kill whoever is in charge of daylight savings time.
Lance (who is already asleep again): hmmm ... go back to sleep...
But like many, once I've been woken up, there's no chance of me falling back to sleep. I could handle the one nap day if Lucan wouldn't get so crazy hysterical at lunch time and if I could guarantee that Lucan would sleep longer than 2 hours in the afternoon. What's done is done. There's no turning back now.

  • Periodically we will let Lucan run around completely naked after bath time. Dangerous. Generally, he can be counted on to pee on the floor. Thanks buddy.
  • Favorite foods: broccoli, popcorn, pears, beans. And dried apple slices. Making dried apple slices is not one of my favorite past times. It's a rather time consuming process but I have to think that dried apple slices are much better for Lucan than potato chips. Not that he's snuck any of those off the table ...
  • Oh, Lu loves the individual puree pouches - thanks Jessie! I think that Lu likes having the control of being able to feed himself. Maybe someone will get some pouches for Christmas ...
  • Favorite activity: bath time and madly splashing his mom.
  • Second favorite activity: anything that I tell him he can't do: pulling out clumps of Fire's hair, banging things against the TV, pulling little girls' hair at the library, throwing food on the floor.
  • Lucan is still on frozen breast milk, but sadly I think we are closing in on the end. It makes me a little teary eyed, but I know that I've done my best for him.
  • Since moving to a one-nap schedule, I've tried to move bedtime up to 7:45 pm. But Lance thinks this is way to early and the reason why Lucan is getting up early. Someone please weigh in and tell Lance that a 7:45pm bedtime is not unreasonable!!!
  • Lucan is definitely learning. Not much, but some :) When we are Praise and Play, Lucan has observed the times when he gets to go and get an instrument, what to do with it and then when to put it back. I'm impressed.
  • I think that when I go back to work, Lucan is going to have a hard time adjusting. I've noticed when I drop him off at a friend's house, Lu gets slightly hysterical. Because Lu has always went to daycare before, separation anxiety hasn't been too prevalent. I'm not sure it's the age or what, but based on this and when we take him to nursery at church, I think we'll have a problem.
  • Lucan loves climbing on standing on the kitchen chairs. Which I wouldn't find completely heart stopping, but he also wants to climb the rungs on the back of the chair. Last week he fell backwards off a chair. His head took a beating.
  • Lu's favorite hiding place is behind the couch. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's invisible. It brings out his hoarder qualities. Presently he is holding in his hands, three animal crackers, one sippy cup of milk and another sippy cup of water. He'll drag everything that he currently loves back behind the couch with him. It's both endearing and irritating.
  • This kid has my memory. I'll put something away because he's hell bent on destroying it and then take it out a month later and he'll remember that his intention was to kill and destroy. Super.
  • Lucan is very much his father's son. Lu's feet are always hot (just like Lance's. Lance has actually gotten in trouble at work because he is never wearing his shoes), so Lu is always pulling off his socks and kicking off his shoes. Lucan picks the raisins out of things and eats them separately.
  • So ticklish!
  • Lucan has an obsession with belly buttons. He'll lift your shirt up and go "be bo" which is cute at home. Not at the grocery store. \
  • His second obsession is emptying out all drawers of it's contents. Lucan especially enjoys unscrewing the caps off of travel sized lotions. But if they are Aveda travel lotions, it's like $8 worth of lotion Lucan is potentially wasting. The most obvious solution is to launch a preemptive strike and take everything out of the drawer or to babyproof the drawer. Now our house contains multitudes of drawers that I can't open or drawers with their entire contents open for the world to see. Both are great solutions :)
  • Lucan loves dancing to the music of One Direction. Not that I'm playing boy band music ...
And here Lucan is at 17 months and at 5 months. It never ceases to astound me the changes that one year brings.

No comments: