Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lucan: 12 months old

I have a one-year old. I have no idea how that happened. I'm sure this is a fairly common experience among parents. How did my child get to be this old? But I'll save those observations for another day.

I feel like a lot of development has occurred the past month. I have a one-year old. Opps. I digress yet again.


  • Lucan is couch surfing quite nicely. Meaning, he pulls himself up on the couch and walks alongside it. He's not walking on his own yet. But from what I hear from my friends, not walking isn't necessarily a bad thing.

  • If you scold Lucan for doing something or getting into something he's not supposed to be in (like touching the tv screen), he will burst into tears. There's a part of me that wants to apologize and pick him up and comfort him, but I think that would be mixed signals. Basically if you say "no" in a loud and commanding voice, Lucan will wail loudly.

  • Speaking of wailing, Lucan does not enjoy having his diaper changed. I think that this must not be an out of the ordinary experience as Huggies merchandises a "little movers" brand of diapers. If you flip Lucan onto his back to have his diaper changed, he gets mad and tries to roll over. We try and give him various items to play with, but Lu just throws them over his head onto the floor. Typically there is a bottle of saline spray, diaper cream, lotion and his brush on the floor at any given time. It is certainly a challenge to try and wipe a poopy butt and keep Lucan from crawling off the changing table. Good times. Poop wiping with an extra challenge. Certainly my idea of fun.

  • Okay, I'm not sure if other people's children are like this too, but Lucan is a very wild sleeper. He will start at one end of his crib and then flip, roll, and tangle himself in his blanket and end up at the other end. There are days when I think I should put his bumper back in because various limbs will end up between the slats.

  • My good eater is picky about textures. Really picky. Diced watermelon. Spit it out. Strawberries in yogurt. Gross. Hamburger & rice mixture. Bizarre. Essentially everything needs to be super smooth or crunchy like a Cheerio. I suppose it's just another one of those things that will take time. I'm also paranoid Lucan will choke because my little boy is storing food in his cheeks like a squirrel. Why just last night I found a green leaf and a starburst wrapper ...

  • Speaking of crunchy like a Cheerio. Lucan likes popcorn. And chips. Which are not Lance approved. But Lucan was looking at me like he wanted a taste, so who am I to say no? Lance also doesn't like the fact that I allow Lu to take an occasional grass tasting. Whateve Lance, I'm sure you've eaten more than your fair share of grass as a kidlet.

  • I deserve some applause here - I have successfully nursed Lucan for a full year. If you would have asked me at 6 weeks if I would have been able to stick it out, I would have told you no. Ironically enough, I'm having problems letting breastfeeding go. I feel like once I stop, Lucan will no longer need me. I know, I know. I have issues.

  • We are down to two naps a day. Squeezing a third nap in was proving to be challenging and somewhat of a waste. Lu gets a morning nap around 9 am and then an afternoon nap around 1:30 or 2 pm.

  • Lu loves to sit in a grocery cart. Loves, loves, loves it. I think he enjoys the feeling of being able to swing his legs. It's pretty cute if you ask me.

  • We go over to our neighbor's house to hang out on their trampoline. Lucan loves it because it's like a giant pack and play for him.

  • And on the note of non-loves: carseat. If he has to be in his carseat longer than a half an hour, Lu starts to protest. And by protest, I mean crying loudly. The last time we went to our parents' houses was certainly a test of patience and love. This weekend we will be in the car for 4 hours. With another baby. Should be really interesting.

  • Lu's favorite toy are his stacking cups. Weirdly enough, the number two cup has mysteriously disappeared. But Lu likes to crawl around clutching a cup in each hand.

  • Lucan doesn't really have distinct words he says. I'm sure that the doctor will have something to say about this.

  • And Lucan doesn't consistently feed himself. This is partially our fault, but we are working on it. I'm sure the doctor will also say something about that too.

  • Nor does he really use a sippy cup. Whatever doctor.

  • BUT ... Lucan will hold his bottle. Occasionally.

  • Lucan loves swimming in Fire's water dish.

  • He also wants to explore all nooks and crannies of the fridge. If you know me, this is hazardous.

  • Because Lucan is learning his balance, he falls quite a bit. He usually has a new bruise or red spot on his head because of a fall or mishap.

  • Lucan has become quite stubborn. If he wants something, he wants it. A battle of the wills.

  • Oh. This one has me slightly annoyed. Apparently Lance is Lucan's new favorite parent. Lu will reach for Lance and give Lance huge smiles. Me, I'm the back-up parent who will do when there aren't any better options.

Blinking? What?? Crazy hair? Not me.



I'm a little man.



No comments: