Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Strawberry Trifle



A few years back I decided I needed a trifle bowl. Really, no one needs a trifle bowl. But I enjoy it and the few times I use it a year makes me happy. Trifles are one of my favorite spring desserts to make. Typically fruit is in season, readily available, and not crazy expensive. Trifle desserts present themselves very well. They are always very pretty with layers of fruit, pudding, and cake.

The type of trifle I made here is what I call a cheater dessert. I have a few of those up my sleeve. It's a cheater dessert because I didn't actually have to bake anything with it - all I did was assemble it. I prepped the fruit, the angel food cake and the pudding the night before and then assembled it about an hour prior to serving it. Definitely a cheater dessert :)

Ingredients
1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix (I used cheesecake pudding instead)
2 cups cold milk
1 (9 inch) angel food cake, torn into cubes
2 bananas, sliced
Fresh strawberries, sliced
Fresh blueberries
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed


Directions
Prepare pudding with milk according to package directions. Gently fold in whipped topping. Refrigerate until set.

In a trifle bowl or other glass serving dish, layer the cake pieces, the pudding mixture, and the fruit. Repeat layers. Cover and chill before serving.

No comments: