Thursday, May 12, 2011

Freezer cooking

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you realize that Lance and I have a problem with our refrigerator, freezer and pantry. At any given time, they are stuffed to the gills. It would be completely unfair to place all the blame on me - just ask Lance about the great chicken shortage of 2011 along with the great bacon shortage of the summer of 2010. During those "shortages" Lance picked up several pounds of chicken breasts, whole chickens, and huge freezer bags of chicken breasts. Any time bacon is on sale, Lance picks up at least 5 pounds of it. While I could be the one to blame for my pantry, the freezer isn't completely my fault. And we have half a side of beef at the bottom the freezer to boot. Again - not my fault there are times when I have problems closing the lid. I do contribute to the problem as I like to buy several varieties of ice cream and don't like to finish any of them :) (somehow I've inherited my father's closure issues, even though I'm adopted!) Our friend, Ryan, the other night asked us if we even know what is in our freezer. The answer to that question: yes and no. Lance and I "audit" our deep-freeze twice a year and take inventory of everything that's in there. Not at all surprising, we are always a little bit astounded by the contents. It's probably time to do another audit, especially as I embark on some pre-baby freezer cooking. Here's my list of everything I'd like to cook or prep prior to Baby K's arrival on ~June 2.

Prep:


  • Carrots

  • Celery

  • Onions

  • Zucchini

  • Hamburger

  • Chicken

  • Roast a turkey (he's old. He's begging to be roasted)

  • Shred huge blocks of costco cheese

  • Chicken stock

  • Grind round steak into hamburger
Prepare:


  • Spaghetti sauce

  • Taco casserole (2)

  • Granola

  • Spaghetti pie (2)

  • Meatloaf (2)

  • Meat balls (2)

  • Taco meat (5 lbs)

  • Chicken cacciatore (2)

  • Chicken fried rice (3)

  • Shepherd's pie (doubtful as it's super labor intensive and let's be real, I don't have that kind of time!)

  • Chicken Santa Fe (2)

  • Enchiladas (beef & chicken)

  • Chili (2)

  • Vegetable beef stew (2)

  • Beer stuffed cheese burgers (10)

And maybe if I'm lucky I'll do a few loaves of bread or some cookies. If only I had a cook or a friend or family member who would just finish this list for me ;)


I have this feeling I'm being slightly ridiculous and more than a little unrealistic. But like one of my favorite sayings "Those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail" I might as well give this my best attempt as there's nothing like being too ready. This coming from the woman who hasn't finished her birth plan or packing for the hospital (truth be told - it's only Lance's stuff that still need to be packed)

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Wow, Kara. That's ambitious to say the least. Good luck with that! =)